Alberta Camping FAQs
- How do I find the best family camping locations in southern Alberta?
- How do I know which Alberta campgrounds are located in the northern part of the province?
- Do I have to worry about bears when camping in Alberta?
- Which Alberta Campgrounds have the best fishing?
- Where do I find the best campgrounds in Alberta?
- Which Alberta campgrounds are the highest rated?
- When does camping season begin in Alberta provincial parks?
- How do I reserve a campsite at an Alberta Campground?
Use the Alberta Provincial Park Ratings pages to read reviews by others. You can search the page simply by pressing CTRL-S and typing in “family”.
Use our Alberta Provincial Parks page which has the parks organized into Southern, Central and Northern Alberta.
Most of the Southern and Central campgrounds are not located in bear country, with the exception of those in the far western side of Alberta where bears are present in the mountain and foothill areas. Those campgrounds located in bear country, including those in Northern Alberta, have information available on bear safety. Some simple guidelines, such as proper storage and disposal of food, are included and will help keep you safe.
Use the Alberta Provincial Park Ratings pages to read reviews by others. You can search the page simply by pressing CTRL-S and typing in “fishing”.
The best campground in Alberta will vary with what your needs and wants are. Some people love the rugged wilderness of the north country and others prefer a more civilized experience with running water and convenient electrical outlets. Whatever your description of the best campground in Alberta is, you can find it in the Alberta Provincial Parks page.
The government of Alberta does not maintain a provincial park rating system, but fortunately we do. We have hundreds of ratings and comments on Alberta Provincial Park Ratings to help you decide which park is highest rated and best suited to your next camping experience.
Most campgrounds open for the season on May 15th and close September 30th. There are a number of campgrounds that offer winter camping, usually with a limited set of services available.
Information on reserving Alberta camping sites can be found on our Campground Reservations Page.